Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I can't believe it either- confession of an nonathletic mom

I'm going to lose my street cred. (As if using the term "street cred" weren't reason enough to lose it)

You see, I feel this compulsion to confess even if it destroys my reputation. Deep breath, here it goes:

mnjoy baseball seasothiyr.

What do you mean you couldn't understand me. I was mumbling?

I'm enjoying baseball season this year.

You can't hear me? Fine.



I'm enjoying baseball season this year.





I know, I know. I'm the mom who comes to kids' sports sign-ups kicking and screaming. Although I tend to replace "kicking" with "eye rolling" and "screaming" with "muttered complaints". I don't enjoy sports and baseball is the most boring. Last year felt like two months of after-school, twice-on-Saturday torture. This year I added another whole team to the mix (which should make it thrice-on-Saturday torture) and still for some reason ... it's kind of, sort of, well ... nice.

Maybe it's because practices are all closer to home. Maybe it's because the kids are all a year older and more independent. Maybe it's because this season I've yet to be hit in the head with a baseball. Or maybe I've been hit in the head one too many times.

For whatever inexplicable reason, all of a sudden, I enjoy watching the kids play. I enjoy sitting and chatting with the other parents. I enjoy watching the teams get better as the season progresses. I haven't opened a book during an actual game once this whole time. Even when my kids aren't actually on the field. Weird, right?

Sure the timing is still a bear and my schedule looks like a complex scientific proof. Dinnertime is more like eat-what-you-can-as-you-run-out-the-door time and Me-time is in temporary hibernation. And yet when I'm watching one of the 5 to 7 games scheduled each week, I find myself relaxing, smiling, and enjoying myself. Go figure.

I better stop analyzing before I talk myself out of it! See you at the ballpark!

Photobucket

 P.S. Don't tell my husband, I don't think I could handle the requisite gloating.






5 comments:

  1. You make me hopeful for when soccer season starts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kids are growing up so very fast. Glad you finally found peace in the baseball stands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought was that you must have found some good books to take along. But no! Very surprising! I'm glad to see you're having fun with the camera, and that the weather seems to be quite nice. You can recant this post after you watch a game in drizzling or windy weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could go to some of their baseball games!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband's spring and summer activity since retirement is a package of AAA baseball tickets. I have to admit, I enjoy going with him -- and I am by NO MEANS a sports enthusiast. Maybe it is just the sunshine and fresh air???

    ReplyDelete