Monday, June 25, 2012

This year I accidentally broke Summer

I always look forward to Summer with its long stretches of blessed schedule voids punctuated with sporadic bursts of activity designed drive boredom away. Sleeping late and reading lots. Family bonding and lazy afternoons.  Perfection.

This year I accidentally broke Summer.


First there isn't proper voidness in my scheduling. Someone should have told me teenagers change everything. With parties, church camps, instrument lessons, golf camp, summer baseball, marching band practices, and never-ending phone ringing, the INSANITY never ends. In the minimal blank spaces we fit in visits to the pool, chores, reading time, and other "normal" summer activities. You want friends over? Better schedule it 4 months in advance.

And we're supposed to fit in a vacation, too?!?

As if that wasn't enough, the down time is decidedly not blessed. Sibling bickering is driving me insane. Two teenagers and two tweenagers (I swear the pre-pubescent mood swings are worse than the post-pubescent ones) keep the hormones in our house at DANGER- EXPLOSION IMMINENT!! levels. If you don't believe me you can walk by my house and hear it. You might only enter the neighborhood to hear it. I wouldn't be surprised if people are wondering about the noise all the out at the county border.

Given the state of Summer this year, I, of course, thought it would be the perfect time to start P90x. After all, taking an extra hour and half out of my schedule every day could only be made better by limbs too sore to move more than an inch in any direction. And why would I need to have any reserve of strength? Right? Might as well use it all up within 15 minutes of waking so I can have the rest of the day to deal with paragraphs 2 and 4.

So I'm exhausted, the kids are busy, our gas budget is atrocious, and I'm now hoping for some down time. In September. Of 2025.


Oh all right, I just might survive...




   Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I hear you. We are running around like school's still in session around here. Wish I had that view! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to sneak out and come over for lunch. Pretend things are back to normal and don't tell me how much worse I will have it in a few years. I will just sit back and enjoy my functional summer ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun to me. I miss the times when there are lots of people around that want you to do things with and for them. Enjoy those teenagers because teenagers grow up and leave home so very quick. You pool looks so inviting. Bet you look great in your swim suit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! Isn't that the way summer always goes? Grand plans for a great time.... and it never works out that way. Broken summers are part of the tradition!

    ReplyDelete