Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Elves are Coming...

There is a family tradition we love around here. In a large part because it helps keep me sane. The twelve nights before Christmas (Christmas Eve counts as night #12), the elves come and visit our house. They sneak in and check out our bedrooms. And if they're clean and the house is picked up, they leave a small treat in our stockings. Like a Hershey's miniature chocolate small.

The cost is minimal (even when you multiply by 8), the kids keep their rooms cleaner (without any fights or reminding) during those 12 days than they do the entire year, and there is nothing cuter than watching a toddler walk down the line, patting everyone's stocking to see who got a treat.

At least once during the 1st couple of nights the elves leave something that I don't really like. Surprisingly, my room doesn't pass inspection that night. The kids are decently scared enough to keep their rooms spotless. One year they made sure to clean my room the next night so Peter and I wouldn't miss out on the treat.

The first night is Saturday and my children are already pumped for the elves to come. The boys even cleaned their room already in preparation. I know, I was shocked too. I should have warned you to sit down first.

Anyone who comments that all I need to do is make a habit of my children cleaning up every night so I could always enjoy tear free clean rooms will get me sticking my tongue out at you. In fact, shame on you for even thinking such a thing. If I did that, what fun would my once a year clean room tradition be?

And I really like my stockings- my friend Mary had these in her house and I liked there was no need to keep a supply of matching fabric, just the pattern. I made 4 that year and have since added 4 more.
Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea. And to get something you don't like is brilliant. I'm curious, what are some of the unpleasant gifts the elves leave?

    ReplyDelete
  2. good idea...you are a nice mom...the only thing my kids get when they clean their rooms is less yelling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. I'll see if I can talk Joshua into it - a miniature milky way would get me to tidy up the bathroom for sure... My kids are too young for this, but I can use it on myself, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea! I think the elves might make a visit to our house this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. We will have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been debating on whether or not to start this with Abe this year since he is still so little, but I think we may give it a try and go with little hot wheels cars or something a few nights instead of candy. We'll see...I did always love this growing up and even did it with my roommates in college!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you already read my entry about cleaning so trust me- I won't say a THING about your kids not cleaning every night!! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our first married Christmas was spent at your parents' house, where I got to experience the Elves for the first time. I woke up and there was a can of Pringles in my stocking, and I knew this would be a tradition we'd carry on in our own family. We've been getting Addie psyched up for the last couple days, I'm excited to see her reaction and see if she catches on, and maybe even suggests we clean up??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think at this point I would make my kids a whole cake if they could keep their room clean...but then I would still find clothes stuffed in the pillowcases...in the closet...in the toy chest...under the bed...honestly, doesn't Abby know that it takes less effort to put things away where they go than to think of all those creative places to hide things? My room is clean, can I have some candy?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually, the answer is yes...I will help myself to the Lindt truffles I keep hidden in my nightstand...ssshhh, don't tell my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mom started giving out pringles?!? That is a definite step up from the candy canes I used to get!

    I always have a dirty bedroom on the nights the elves give out ring pops. Or anything with coconut in it. Terrible, but I manage to survive.

    And less yelling is the reward the other 353 days (unless its a leap year then 354).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Charlotte - If my room is clean the night the elves leave coconut, can I have your piece? And I am SO jealous that you've found stockings you love. I am still on a mad search. (Mad implies not that I'm working hard on it, just that I'm mad I haven't found something I love yet and my kids are getting attached to the blech substitutes).

    Emily - We had that problem with Tackler. I cured him in less than a week. Every time I found something stashed, he had to put away that stash PLUS the same number of other items. My house was nice and clean for a week and he quickly decided it was easier to put stuff away for real. Now if only I could stumble on a solution for dear dad leaving stuff out...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always loved your stockings. I keep thinking I want to make some like them. I wrote on my calender to start the 12 days but forgot. Good things Madison doesn't really understand it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a greeeeeeaaat idea. I think I will do it also.
    (Even though my kids keep there rooms clean all the time:) Its just easier. Ha ha I am funny right!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this idea is genius! I plan to imcorporate it into my family, but I'll just have to wait 'til next year. Not a problem though since I am well aware of what threats and/or bribery works well for my five year old. Your stockings are way cute by the way. I get to make Zachary's next week at Tara's. Luckily she has agreed to help me since I am not that great with a sewing machine. While she is much like you, a domestic godess :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cute idea...and so productive. I think family traditions are the best and what could be better than practically free cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish I'd checked your blog earlier. The stockings are so cute! I love that between the two of us, we have 15 stockings with no repeats. I still love pulling them out each year...and being grateful that I don't have to make any more! Sometimes I think I'd like matching jewel-colored stockings, but I love the memories attached to these ones.

    Cute elf idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can you send the pattern?
    Thanks,
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved the elves, loved the clean room but most of all love the memories of you kids the elves visits. Love Christmas

    ReplyDelete