Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Limping Through Life

Limping through life- and I almost wish I was speaking figuratively.

You see, a couple months before we moved out here, my siblings all joined a gym. Since the point of moving here was to be close to family, we decided we should join the same gym. There may have been some motivation from the extra stress pounds our recent move provided.

I could go buy pants one size larger or try exercising.

The first day I went,I joined my sister and in-law on the elliptical runners. After a half hour, I thought I was going to die. Then a couple days later I tried out their dance aerobics class. And realized the "going to die" of two days before was nothing compared to how I was really going to die. It mostly felt like my legs were wanting to fall off but wouldn't as a punishment for what I put them through. My arms and shoulders staged their own protests. Not that being able to lift my arms above me waist is important or anything.

After three weeks I was still sore after working out, but I was only slightly limping the next day. I thought I was ready to push myself a little more.

And then I tried Zumba.

I went past thinking I was going to die to wondering if I actually had. Afterwards I crawled into bed and stayed there the rest of the night. I'm talking 7:00 at night. The next day all attempts at walking were with tender care, and kept to absolute minimum The stairs in my house? They were taken toddler style: step down one step- bring the other foot to meet it- take another ginger step down- bring the other foot to meet it- repeat all the way down- keep grimace to minimum. Not to mention my stomach muscles.  I thought they went into permanent hibernation after my sixth child was born.  Well they woke up with fierceness and let me know they were not happy to be awakened so cruelly.

I think I might be a little out of shape.

(Getting out of breath walking to the pantry to eat more chocolate should of clued me into that fact long ago.)

The funny thing is, after limping around for three weeks, I love going to the gym.  I've tried lots of exercise before: running, walking, pilates, wii fit (that counts, right?), but never really looked forward to doing any of it. But I look forward to going to the gym.  I like the elliptical runners and treadmills and bikes. I like those evil muscle-wrenching classes. For the hour or so before the limp sets in, I feel great! Already I notice the limping is letting up and I can run farther and harder than I could at first. Plus, Matthew enjoys the babysitting room with his cousins.

I plan on hitting the zumba class again this Friday night. Maybe this time the limping will only last one day instead of three. Or maybe my legs will actually fall off? I'm think I'll be good, either way.

Photobucket

28 comments:

  1. I am sort of anti-Zumba. I have never tried it, but it's one of those superhyped things, so I tend to think it's probably overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did Zumba once, and I really liked it! SO keep it up!

    I had to choose between being able to afford Zumba or pre-school.

    I chose pre-school. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zumba IS awesome!! I loved it and there's a reason for all the hype... it's sooo fun!! I just hate paying for it so I haven't been in a long time! lol... glad you are having fun! -vi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love Zumba, but I really think it depends on the teacher how hard/easy the class is and how much fun it is. I've gone to different time slots and some teachers are WAY better than others.

    And you did 30 minutes elliptical on your FIRST day??? After a year of not going to the gym, I started back on with 10 minutes a day and added on 5 minutes each day. So you are awesome for doing 30 minutes your first day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for the gym! And yay for Zumba if it gets you there--and keeps you coming back for more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My gym membership covers it, otherwise I would be too cheap to pay all the time. But it is definitely the most exhausting of everything I've done at the gym so far. So I'm thinking that makes it the most effective?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I joined a gym too. Love it. Haven't tried Zumba yet- you're braver than me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm anti zumba too. But only because I barely have enough coordination to walk without falling down. Anything dance related? Not good. Not good at all. Have you tried a spinning class? Those bikes are really, really mean... but, man oh man do they get you in shape!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never tried zumba. But I'm too cheap to actually pay to have someone torture me. Good luck! I'm glad you've found something you've having so much fun doing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried Zumba - and it was kinda fun... but I'm under Doctor's orders to never go again.

    not kidding.

    It tripped my Vertigo and I spent the next two months unable to drive or walk a straight line... a year later and I'm still paying for that one night of calorie burning.

    See what I mean when I say Zumba is of the devil?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so with you on this! I thought I would hate the gym as I have always hated working out, but I am loving it.

    I haven't yet tried Zumba yet...my gym doesn't offer it. There is a gal who teaches at a dance studio here once a week. I'm hoping to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad you are enjoying being there in Washington. You will be so skinny and in shape. Wish I could go with you guys too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll think of you all together as I run on my lonely treadmill...all alone...here by myself, at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Exercise. Love it. Hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What I find is after I do a really hard work out, to strech, really really stretch out. And also drink tons of water. Water helps your body remove lactic acid, which builds up in your muscles after excercise and makes you feel soar. Also, tylenol helps too. I wish I could come and elispe with you...that sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Charlotte, I'm glad that you found a gym you like with child care! And that you can work out with your sister and sister-in-law. Working out with others is always the best. Now if I can figure out something I like to do..
    We miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good for you! I tried Zumba once... and LOVED IT! I still think about it, and one of these days I'm going to go again!

    I know you've never bet me before, but I'm happy for you. Keep up the good work.
    Corine :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love having to be helped off the toilet because my butt and hamstrings are so sore!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the pain of working out-- because well-it makes me feel good about the fact that I worked out;)

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow... I so admire that you keep going back for more punishment!! I was super sore after our 100 day of school celebration (I led the "I can__100 times" station). All that jumping and hopping -- it still hurts to take the stairs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I too just rejoined a gym and took my first Zumba class on Monday. You're absolutely right. It's a hard, fast workout. But I loved it.
    Last time I belonged to a gym I did just weight machines and elliptical. This time I'm doing all classes. And this time I actually look forward to going.

    Keep up the good work. We'll both be in much better shape soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're an inspiration! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Charlotte you always crack me up! Zumba...ugh! Fun, but ugh! Keep up the good work. Love the kinda new profile picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I want to try Zumba, but I'm pretty sure I WILL die.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LooooooooooooVE having workout buddies! I love that you and brenda are so into it and enjoy taking the silly classes with me. We are gonna be some hot mommas at the pool this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those poor women who run the daycare! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think Zumba is so much fun, but I didn't start going until I was already in shape and just needed Winter maintenance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hate exercising after a long break. You really feel like you're going to die. I totally feel for the people on the biggest loser. I can't imagine having a trailer pushing you to keep going. I'm glad you had a good support system to help you get into the groove.

    ReplyDelete