Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Slow Track to Moving In

Sometimes I wish I had a remote for my children's vocal cords. One with volume, mute, pause, rewind, fast forward buttons. Especially since we still have one room with a wood floor and without furniture. And, since I must have selected the slow track this move for getting settled, I have yet to hang a single picture. It is echo-induced insanity waiting to happen over here.

Although, as of 9 o'clock this morning, we finally hung a TV on the wall, the kids no longer treat that room like a gym. Instead they've decided to treat it to slack jaw stupors. I'm weak; until I can get more unpacked, I'm encouraging TV related brain rot.

The missing couch (which is already ordered) and empty walls aren't the only things indicative of our slowness to finish unpacking. Today I finally plugged in my freezer. I suggest you don't let your freezer sit unused in your garage for over a month, especially if you didn't have time to give it a thorough scouring before loading it into a moving truck. Regardless, it is now clean, disinfected, cooling, and waiting to be filled.

Another item we've yet to get around to? We technically don't have any window coverings up. I use "technically" in the hopes that you'll think I've hung up something. Which I haven't, excepting the old mismatched curtains in the master bathroom, whose large windows faces the main road. Peter did remind me today that, "Love is blind, but the neighbors aren't," so I think we'll be taking care of this oversight soon.*

Did I mention that Peter just got home last night after being gone for two weeks? From his second, and final, trip back to Connecticut to finish work there? My molasses unpacking plan is starting to make sense now, isn't it? How often do you get to write a paragraph using only questions? Is it worth the improper sentence structures?

Anyway, he is home now: hanging televisions, moving around freezers, pricing blinds and helping hang pictures. Last night, after he finally got home, we celebrated his birthday.  It was belated, as it occurred while he was out of town. My sister and two brothers came over with their families for brownies and to belt out the Happy Birthday song. As I watched us all laughing around the table, I knew all the trouble was worth it.

Any neighbors who may have seen too much of us (so to speak) might think otherwise.

*I'd like to point out that on either side of us is an empty lot and on either side of that is a house that is still unoccupied. There is just an empty field behind us. Since I put up curtains in the two front bathroom windows that face the road, we don't actually have neighbors to whom we can expose ourselves.

Photobucket

20 comments:

  1. Remind me, are you in Richland or Kennewick? How are you liking the area so far?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I still have boxes in closets I swore I'd sort through after we moved in 6 years ago, I am 100% in favor of the molasses unpacking style. And on the topic of TV rot, it is the only thing that got my 4 year old through two weeks of the baby being sick. And finally, love the paragraph of questions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unpacking is of the devil and totally requires TV rot for the children to lessen the pain.

    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have any window coverings of any sort in my house. And we've lived here for two years. Wait... we do have blinds in the master bathroom. And... we live in the woods. Surrounded by trees and deer and raccoons that are completely uninterested in what we do inside our house. It's not very fashionable though... just big windows. No curtains, no nothing. Meh. Maybe one day...

    I hope you start to feel "settled" soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How are you liking the area/schools/neighborhood/ward/mall/spudnuts? I'm sure you love being close to family(I know *I* love being close to YOUR family, so I can only imagine how much you love it too!). I'm excited to see more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate packing and unpacking. Heck, folding the laundry is too much like packing and unpacking for me! Take your time- afterall, if it's still in a box a few months from now you didn't really need it anyway and you can just chuck it. The kids can't make a mess with items they don't have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the unpacking! It's my least favorite thing to do in the whole world. And that is what I tell myself every time I feel bad that I had to move internationally in suitcases. :) Hope you get settled soon so you can fully enjoy your beautiful home and being closer to family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just so you know, I think that it is perfectly acceptable to take a year to feel settled. This also means that you can tell people that you
    "just moved here" for up to a year too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A little TV rot will never hurt your brain, ever.

    I don't know if you have your window treatments picked out or not, but I just redid all the treatments in my house with selectblinds.com. I got 2" faux wood blinds for about $30 a blind, and they are custom made to the window as well. So far, I've been happy with them. Or you could always just nail some kids to the wall, dangling over the empty window and hope no one notices.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish I could have had the brownies and laughter. It would be worth the move.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, that birthday party did get a bit out of hand....we were all glad there were no neighbors when you broke out the strip poker game. Wish I didn't have to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wish we could have been there for the party .... okay except for the strip poker part :-) I may have to make myself some brownies tonight....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I admire the paragraph of all questions. Totally worth the improper sentence structure.

    With no neighbors, I'd put curtains low on my to-do list. Oh wait. I have. Since there is no one living behind me I have yet to put up curtains on that side. For 12 years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what? you have deprived the neighbors of their entertainment? I'm a little disappointed in you...

    We have big thick blinds and curtains... not out of modesty, but because I am trying to convince the neighbors that we are vampires. I think it's working... we actually DO live next door to the Cullens. (a sweet older couple who I'm SURE has never read Twhylight)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you're with family again--including your husband!

    After seven years in our home, we finally unpacked the last of our boxes last summer. I guess we're officially settled...and never packing boxes again. (I hate moving.)

    After three of my sister's back yard neighbors moved in the space of a few months, she began to realize she should probably remember to close the blinds in her master bedroom. (I'm sure it was just coincidence...but still.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. you're a bum for having family over! Glad Pete is back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hate moving! I did enough of it when I was single that I swore I'd never do it married. I've been cemented in my house for almost 34 years (in May). If I ever have to move now, Heaven help me! It will take bulldowsers & dump trucks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. If it's any consolation, it's been more than 3 years since we moved into our house and I still have many windows without coverings.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha! Don't feel too bad: we've been in this house for 18 months and the kitchen windows still need curtains and there's more than one white wall to decorate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the title of this blog--I have thought that before, though I really think I just need a 60 minute pause every now and then:) What a fun site--new follower-Janae

    ReplyDelete