Monday, February 28, 2011

Some thoughts on my cleaning day

Once upon a time, I had a preschooler.

 Whenever I cleaned, she would follow behind me and make a mess. Then I had two preschoolers. They could mess up as quickly as I cleaned. Then I had three preschoolers. Cleaning actually left the house messier. Then I had four preschoolers. Some things are too terrifying to speak.

Anyway, I am back to one preschooler at home. What was once so hard is now the easy cleaning time. Because as difficult as preschoolers are to the cleaning process, at least I didn't have to deal with magical backpacks spewing never-ending supplies of schoolwork, newsletters, and notes I should have responded to 3 weeks ago.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the socks and shoes in my house are reproducing- parthenogenetically of course, as it is impossible to ever find them mated. Did I mention that I threw away all lone socks when we moved 2 months ago and my pile is now large enough to make sock puppets of every Dr Seuss character ever created?

In other news,my kitchen is able to explode in 5 seconds. But I think it's trying to beat this record.  Daily. The family room is also in the running for the record, but is impeded by the closet capable of being stuffed with sundry stuff.

Today is cleaning day at my house; I ripped my favorite pair of jeans.  Not that I'm bitter about it or anything...

Photobucket

21 comments:

  1. too bad about the jeans, it hard to find a favorite pair. Good luck on the cleaning, it is hard when so many were at your house to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having similar problems with the socks in my house. I HATE mating socks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia, we solve that problem by buying multi-packs (I have two colors, DH has his work socks and his dress socks) and just tossing them in containers by color/type. I hate folding socks, DH hates unfolding them, this works for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. Sometimes there is just no point to cleaning. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Socks!! I only have two and I'm ready to capitulate to the insanity of little boy socks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. and around and around on the hamster wheel of life we go...

    I'm bummed for you about the jeans... I would cry if I ripped my favorite pair. I say, wear em ripped. At least when you're at home cleaning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What in the world were you cleaning that caused such destruction on your pants? Is there a samurai machete collection I don't know about? Rabid dogs?
    You are one dedicated cleaner! Your story of four preschoolers might just give me nightmares for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No socks is another reason I love summer.
    I used to have a plaque on the wall that said,
    "Cleaning the house while the kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk while it's still snowing."

    I hear it gets easier. I'll probably be dead before I see that miracle, but it gives me something to hope for, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wear different socks. Or my husband's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I say wear the jeans too! I do the laundry at our house except for the occasional begging to my husband to please fold the socks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ripping a favorite pair of jeans is a box-of-chocolate level disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  12. laughed OUT loud at the "parthenogenetically of course" - of course, then I saw that you were wearing a matching pair... apparently you've found Adam and Eve sock...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was feeling sympathy, and then I read about your jeans.

    And I cried.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fortunately I have one daughter who prefers wearing mismatched socks, so we pass all the singles to her. And I've given up on caring about a spotless house. Slightly spotless is more the daily thing around here...and it's way okay with me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry about the jeans...but I did note that your socks match in the picture :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember when my favorite jeans died. I was really sad.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Socks, shoes, clothes, dishes... and I only have 2 kids. You are pretty much my superhero... just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your post was fun and funny to read as usual...but what I found the most entertaining was the link about parthenogenesis. I had never heard about that before. Fascinating stuff!

    Obviously, the very socks and preschoolers you wrote of are the reason we humans do not reproduce like sharks and komodo dragons: after one generation, none of the moms would choose to reproduce more little mess makers without a mate to balance the sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sad about your jeans! What are you going to do? Do I sense your first pair of skinny jeans coming on? ;) Funny how life changes but in a way stays the same. Always messy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh no! You're ruining my perception of my magical future with older children. Your long lost sock and shoe mates may have resurfaces at my house. I have recently been having foreign shoe and sock sitings--very odd. Loved this post! Janae

    ReplyDelete
  21. Where do all those socks go?!?!?! And I do not envy your cleaning tasks....

    ReplyDelete