Friday, February 25, 2011

A tooth, a confession, a hole in my parenting experience.

I have an embarrassing confession I need to make. I don't even know if I should post this as it is totally humiliating, but I'm hoping through this public disgrace I can pressure myself to repent and change ways.

You see a few nights ago Joseph came to me with a problem: he couldn't sleep due to his first loose tooth. Also because he is a six-year-old insomniac who finds every possible excuse to not sleep, but that is another story. When I checked his mouth, the tooth was practically dangling, so I decided this was a stay-up-a-few-minutes-later worthy excuse.

It was when trying to figure out the best way to separate tooth from mouth that my terrible revelation crystallized: I had never pulled a loose tooth before! This is my FIFTH child to begin loosing teeth and I HAVE NEVER BEEN THE ONE TO PULL THEM. My husband has been tasked to do them all.  Which might explain why my tooth fairy gene is completely dysfunctional.

Since Peter was working a night shift and unavailable as tooth extractor, I took on the role. I yanked, I wiggled, I slipped, I even made it bleed a little. I couldn't get the tooth out. Joseph went to bed with tooth still in its wobbly place and I stayed up to ponder this new-found hole in my parenting experience.

Then next evening Peter was home. He pulled the tooth in 5 seconds. He was equally surprised when I confessed that he has been the only tooth torturer in the family.

Photobucket

22 comments:

  1. I know I'll be the tooth puller when we get there. My husband is so squeamish.

    However I never take out the garbage. Ever. So we're even.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to make a confession here. I love to pull my kids teeth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you--I've never pulled my kids' teeth. They have been avid teeth-pullers so I let them do all the dirty (bloody) work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesa is on to something. Once you pull one tooth, it's as addictive as popping pimples.

    Here's a tip for your next opportunity: use a folded square of toilet paper to grip the tooth. This prevents slipping, and it quickly absorbs any blood. Then, twist and pull on the tooth in a quick jerk, kind of like pulling off a band-aid. (You've at least done that with your kids, right?) It will almost always come out on the first tug. Also, it doesn't hurt to have something that numbs the gums first, like the stuff you can buy for teething babies. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only have I never pulled a tooth, I never had any of mine pulled. Which I'm totally ok with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I firmly believe that one of the few perks of having someone who is spending a third of his life learning how to be a doctor is that HE gets to pull the teeth. I hear the vomiting at night, he WILL pull teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr. Dad has pulled all the loose teeth at our house so far (one kid down...) and I'm sure that since he has been professionally prepared it's really just a courtesy for me to let him use that skill (we paid enough for it, right?!?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do figure he has the most experience. When he is home he handles all medical questions, including putting on bandaides.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think that's embarassing at all. My dad was the tooth-puller in my family when I was little. I think he kinda liked it, like some of your friends here. :) Congrats to your cute little guy for losing a tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I could HANDLE pulling a tooth! I just don't think yanking things out of my kids' heads is in my DNA... I would rely on the hubs, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow can Joe be that old. He is such a handsome character. Can't wait to spend some time with your kids and you too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never done it before, either. Because . . . ew. I tell my kids, "Just wiggle it. No, wiggle it some more."

    ReplyDelete
  13. If it's any consolation, I've pulled many a tooth and I'm still a sucky Toothfairy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not sure I could ever pull a tooth - I don't think I have it in me! Good thing you have "Mr. Tooth Fairy" on hand ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is crazy! You just made me realize Madison is coming upon the age of losing teeth. I am so ready to not have to do that. It made me cringe just thinking about it. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It made me laugh that you tried so hard and still couldn't get it out! String and a doorknob, dear sister! Maybe an apple?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny. I did all of the tooth pulling around here.

    And could he look any more like you?

    ReplyDelete
  18. as a kindergarten teacher (and former dental assistant) I used to pull a few teeth... I even had a 4th grade sister brought into my classroom by her mother asking me to just yank it - because she didn't dare. (she had 3 girls...)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't believe that. But I seriously envy you. I hate pulling teeth. It's almost like...pulling teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My kiddos are still very young, but I know when the time comes to help get their teeth pulled, I might be the first to put my index to the tip of my nose.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yup. You figure out your skill set. And then you stick to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ahhh, you haven't yet learned that a pair a plyers is your friend. I can pop a tooth in 2 seconds with a pair of plyers.

    ReplyDelete