Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Paragon of Put Togetherness. NOT!

Sometimes I personify the put together woman.  Take last Friday for instance.  I not only realized I forgot to buy pizza sauce for the homemade pizza on the menu, but after stopping at the store to pick it up, I forgot to start the dough.

The chicken pot pie we had for dinner was delicious.  Just ask the kids ... okay don't ask the kids, they complained as though I was feeding them 3 week old leftovers.  Hello?  Chicken and pie crust!  How can you go wrong with that?  YOU CAN'T.  Unless you'd promised them all day they could make their own little pizzas and then didn't do it.

Instead of asking the kids, ask Peter, who enjoyed his dinner despite filling up on the lady fingers we made out of the leftover crust.  The best part was we managed to make the lady fingers without getting caught by the kids and I only burned one of my fingers in the process. 

_________

By the way, my children will grow to be excellent sharers, they have such wonderful examples in their parents.  The day they find out pie crust ALWAYS equals lady fingers will be worse than when they learned the truth about Santa Claus.

     "Hey Mom, why is there this cinnamon sugar on the cupboard?"

      "You can use it for toast."

     "Awesome!"

(I am good at getting the kids side tracked to cover my sneakiness.)


___________

I not only botched my planned dinner, but I was so busy stuffing lady fingers in my mouth that we were running late for a meeting at the church.  My sweats were not going to cut it so I ran upstairs, grabbed a skirt, tights, and boots, and ran out the door.

In the middle of the meeting I looked down and realized I was truly a paragon of put togetherness.  After all, why else would it take me an entire hour of looking at my shoes before I realize this:


I need to attend remedial dressing class.  This beats the time I went to the post office in my slippers or wore my shirt backwards (not inside out, backwards), but doesn't quite realize the time I lost my skirt in the church foyer or accidentally pulled a stray pair of underwear out of my sweats in the middle of co-ed high school gym class.

Did I mention that before reaching the meeting I had picked up my daughter from a party and stood there in front of her friends and some mothers?  At least they've now met Elise's real mom, in all my oblivious glory.


post signature

24 comments:

  1. Seriously? That is funny. Didn't they feel differently on your feet? We had chicken pot pie for dinner tonight, but I'm such a cheapskate with my pie crust that by stretching one crust to make two, I never have leftovers for ladyfingers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I LOVE pie crust lady fingers. They are possibly my most favorite food in the world.

    Second, my husband happened to see your shoe photo, and he started laughing. That's how funny this is. You just made my night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the boots! You're a rock star mom, and you're in great company. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA ha ha... I love the two mismatched boots, so glad you posted a picture. Lady fingers are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you! You make me feel NORMAL with my own untogetherness! LOL! Nice boots- both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed out loud when I saw that picture of your mismatched boots. There but for the grace of God go I...

    :)

    Thanks, as always, Charlotte, for your honesty about the peaks and valleys of parenthood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I made it into the first ten comments!

    I never knew leftover pie crust was called lady fingers. I've always called it tarts. What isn't clear to me: did you burn one of your lady fingers, or one of your OWN fingers?

    That was a great picture. I recently wore a suit skirt to Church. One with a sewn-in liner, so I didn't wear a slip with it. What I failed to realize was that although I had hooked the waistband, I had not zipped it. So I went prancing around Church for three hours showing everyone my nylons and underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A mom is just going to have those days - mismatched boots (I once walked out in my slippers) and unhappy troops over planning difficulties. Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So funny Thanks for sharing all your embarresing moments!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks I need a good laugh. Every time I see the picture I laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving those boots. More often than I can count, I've left early in the am for church meetings. At some point, while sitting, I put my ankle up on the other knee--revealing mismatched socks. Happens all the time. And I love the phrase "Paragon of Put-togetherness" I assume everyone else is one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's hilarious. Chicken pot pie is my favorite but no one else's. I don't get it either.

    Know that you're in good company mama!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Charlotte, you are seriously a bright spot in my day. Not only for laughs (cause I just roarded with it), but for your honesty and real-life blog posts. I can just drink them up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Charlotte, I love this post. I promise, I'm not laughing AT you I'm laughing with you. Tis the life of a busy mom - and you cook and have more kids than I so kudos! You do seem very put together but slightly frazzled or scattered, which I think is a great thing to be honest about. It makes you REAL! It's nice to see someone talk about these little things - some people proclaim to be so put together but really aren't! I'm writing with toddlers, here so I mean all this as a compliment even if it didn't read right. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would laugh and tell you how clever you are, or how much I love lady fingers, or how I laughed out loud at how quickly you let your kids have cinnamon toast, but I am not telling you any of these things because I am still mad at you for beating my tetris score.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It took me forever to beat your score! Just dumb luck that it happened on the day you gave birth. At least now you have something to do during your late night nursing sessions!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think the boots are sweet! I wish I was cool enough to wear two different boots. but I would probably get laughed at. But not you! You didn't get laughed at! Because you're cool like that.
    You probably started a new fashion trend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1. I love hiding food from the kids.
    2. I think the black and brown boots are a fashion statement. Not a great statement, but a statement nonetheless.

    3. My mom once pulled a full pair of pantyhose of her pants at the grocery store. And she is the best mom ever. So you are well on your way to greatness.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The boot thing is cracking me up! And static cling will make a lot of things stick inside your clothes. I may have done the underwear thing as a kid...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I once wore different shoes -- and the heels were COMPLETELY different heights! I didn't notice because I have one short leg!
    LaurieBee

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love to say this is something I would never do... but alas... that would be a lie. I have worn my shirt inside out all day before. 2 different socks. Unbuttoned pants.

    And at least they got dinner. geez. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok, that's hysterical. You are truly awesome. And I love the new picture and header. Do you do it yourself? Good luck on your "real life" vs. "bloggin life" balance. It's been rather freeing for me personally...but you're a bit bigger than me in the bloggy world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. hilarious! Love your life!

    ReplyDelete