Sunday, June 8, 2008

A long week

So this has been a very eventful week. Not only was there the usual housecleaning, errands, and running after kids; but also lots of fun with moving and end of school year stuff.

Joseph had his final playgroup. We had gone a lot before our trip to North Carolina, but hadn't been back since. Out of the blue, Joseph asked if we could go to his playgroup this week. When I looked into it, I found out it was the last one before summer! I even took Ethan (who was home sick and forced to sit on the couch the whole time)

We got the keys to the new place. The owners did a walk through and showed us how the heat worked and all the little quirks of the house. There are so many light switches in the house, I pulled out my label maker and labeled them all! So far I have brought over 3 suburban loads of stuff over to the house.

My car died. I got in to run errands Tuesday and the engine wouldn't turn over. Luckily, my friend Heidi was kind enough to drive over and help me jump start it. I had never actually jump started a car before, but thanks to Google and my owner's manual, I was able to get the cables on right and nothing exploded. After looking back, I don't think it had been driven since the Wednesday before and I had every cigarette outlet hooked up with some kind of electronic charger. I must have drained the life right out of the battery.

I forgot to mention this before, but we were home sick last Sunday (2 throwup-ers). That helps explain why the suburban hadn't been driven. Also, Peter was able to drive the kids to school on his way out every morning and I had been walking with the little ones to pick them up after school. I guess trying to exercise and conserve gas has some drawbacks!

Peter was able to chaperone Elise's field trip to 6 flags on Thursday. It made his schedule a little more difficult (aka 6 night shifts in a row including the night of the field trip). He surprised me, though, and had gotten a friend to take the Thursday shift so he could go to pack meeting with us (and not be forced to stay awake an entire 24 hours). Pack meeting was a lot of fun. They did some track and field events and Ryan placed in several categories! I raced Peter on hurdles. I tripped on the 1st one and spent the race laughing on the ground. That's right, he won (even though I made him carry Joseph and Matthew to "make it fair").

Peter called me while Elise and her friend were on a ride. When I asked him how he wanted to handle his sleeping schedule for the week, he told me he had switched out that night's shift. "Why didn't you tell me before?" I asked with relief. "I wanted to surprise you." The funny thing is, this is our idea of a romantic surprise. A "you don't have to drag all the kids to pack meeting alone or worry about them being to loud in the afternoon while I'm trying to squeeze in a pre-work nap" surprise. It was better than flowers!

Saturday was Peter's work picnic. Peter woke up early (12:30- remember he is on nights this week) and we went to this dinosaur park place. They had a water area that was a lot of fun and everyone ended up with a sunburn (even though we used sunblock!)

Thanks a bunch to Tami and Jared, they drove over to the house in NC to be there when the movers showed up Saturday. Hopefully by this weekend, all our belongings will be in Connecticut! Turns out , moving is stressful, even 12 hours away. Maybe next week I will be up for sharing the whole ordeal they went through for us. Tami and Kim (and their hubbies) have been immeasurable help to us while waiting to sell our house. Thanks guys!

Today was regular Peter-not-there stress. I only had two sunbeams today and (for the 1st time) they were both singing and participating. That is a huge hurdle! Hopefully, it wasn't a fluke! Anyway, next week promises to be equally busy with field days, field trips, school musicals, moving, and whatever else happens to come our way. Better go to bed and start out refreshed!


  1. Sounds like you and Brenda share an affinity for making your cars stop working! And I can't believe Elise went on a field trip to an amusement park! I'm sure it was very educational for them.

  2. It is crazy how busy the end of the school year gets, and moving on top of it all, wow. I can't wait for summer. Congrats on the hubbie taking time off for you that must be a GREAT feeling (hint hint Bryan) J/K we both have great hubbies.

  3. Sounds like a busy week. We don't mind helping whenever we can. Hopefully the house will sell soon and you don't have to worry about it anymore! And I'm with Andrea on that "field trip" :-)

  4. Sounds like you guys had a really busy week. It really stinks when cars don't work, but look on the bright side you have a cool new house!!!