Monday, June 30, 2008

There's Always a First Time



So, guess how my dear husband spent his morning off? Taking care of Matthew. Yesterday our baby boy decided it would be fun to ride his sister's bike. It stands by itself because of training wheels and in an attempt to climb on, it tackled him. And so the adventure began. . .

From the 1st, he carried his arm up against his body. But I was able to calm him down and he was playing and laughing so I hoped that was the end. But he still was holding his arm a little oddly. Last night he fell asleep in our bed (after falling and whacking his head, a totally different issue), but right about my bedtime he woke up screaming. I calmed him down again and he slept with only small whimpers through the night.



In the morning he woke up completely happy. He was even putting weight on it (although not as much as with his other arm). I thought maybe it would be ok. But he was still carrying it against his body and cried when Elise dressed him. So Peter took him in to the ED. Both lower arm bones were broken and had to be reduced (aka shoved back into place). Peter called the orthopedist who agreed to cast it right away. Here is the result (Matthew must have a high pain tolerance because he is still happy and laughing and doesn't really want held)





Now I think Peter thought it was broken the whole time and just knew that there wasn't much that could be done. "Just watch, and see how it goes," he kept telling me. He just waited till the orthopedist office was open before he took Matthew in for an Xray. Why wait in the ED if they were just going to splint and make you wait to see the bone doc anyway? This morning he was willing to let me monitor the arm one more day, until Matthew started crying while dressing. I don't think he expected both bones to be broken as badly as they were, and maybe he wasn't absolutely positive, but I think he was pretty sure from the first. Luckily he has a lot of practice at work holding down screaming, pained babies because that is exactly what he had to do while they put Matthew's bones back into the proper place!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my!!! Poor baby Matthew. He does look very happy in the pictures though. What a brave guy....although it is pretty impressive you have come this far wtihout a cast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was just a matter of time although I thought Joseph and bound to beat him. He does look happy and in the picture he really looks like my sister Kae did at that age. Not that he looks like a girl but he really looks like she did. Maybe it is the curly hair and the color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how no one is surprised. Poor little guy. I never realized how young and little he was until I saw a cast on him. He looks too little to be hurt. Having a cast might serve him well - make him a little more of a force to be reckoned with. You don't pick on the little guy when his arm is as hard as a rock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see him smiling. Good luck. How long will the cast have to stay on? I am SO knocking on wood that we will not have casts any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I SO don't deal well with accidents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang, I always use the fact the Madson gets right back up after a fall to say that she really isn't hurt. I guess I'll have to watch that. You know us youngest we're made of steel! I'm with Mom I thought Joseph would beat everyone to the cast.

    ReplyDelete