Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Friday Night at the Laters

Last Friday the stake had their Father-Son Camp out. Peter had worked really hard to get Friday night and Saturday off to take the boys. He had even remembered to throw in the tent last time we were in NC so he could take them. Well, Friday morning it was raining. I emailed Peter at work and asked him if the plan was still on. "Of course, just go buy some ponchos." (It had not been easy getting the time off and he had even volunteered to work the early (6AM-4PM) Friday shift and all-night (8PM-6AM) Saturday shift so he could go) He gave me a list of things he would need for the rain. So I bought Joseph a new cold weather sleeping bag, a tarp for under the tent, and 4 ponchos. It was still raining. Those boys were so excited they could hardly contain themselves. They had their sleeping bags over their shoulders, backpacks packed and ponchos on from the time school got out till Peter got home from work. Still raining. Ethan even packed all the baseball gloves and balls to play ball. Joseph knew he was going with the big boys and kept showing everyone his new bag and reminding them that his was the yellow poncho. Well, to make a short story long :), Peter got home, they loaded the car and headed out (still raining), only to arrive an hour later (still raining) and find out the camp out was cancelled. Apparently, Peter was the only one who thought everyone would just bring tarps and ponchos and go camping through the rain. Well, to make a short story long :), they went to see Iron Man and went to dinner at Ruby Tuesdays.





Meanwhile, I had decided to have a girls night out with my daughters (and poor Matthew who looks a little girlish till I cut his curls). Matthew noticed, BTW, that he was the only boy left. He stood at the window for a while calling bye to his dad and brothers. Anyway, we went to a big fancy dinner at McDonalds. Then we came home and made some crafts I had bought. The 1st pictures are Kirsti and Elise making yarn octopuses and the last is us girls with yarn spirographs. Then we watched live TV (not too common when we have a DVR) and ate a bag of Oreos.

It was a lot of fun and I think Peter and I will split up the kids more often for nights on the town.

7 comments:

  1. It always stinks when the guys wuss out and wont go because of rain (or snow). I've had that happen before. At least they got to see Iron man, we really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He'll have to take them camping another time. That is a really good idea to split the kids up and each do something fun. Maybe Ken and I can split Abe down the middle...hmmmm
    (Oh and I liked the yarn octopus, very cute)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate it when people are wimpy campers. I actually like to camp in a little bit of rain. (I really like the rain for some reason, it always lifts my spirits) Anyway, glad everyone had fun anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great idea, I think my most special memories from growing up are from girls' night. When the boys would go on campouts or to the Priesthood session of conference we would always get Ben & Jerry's ice cream and a chick-flick. For a few years in a row, my mom and I went to a children's series of plays and productions (one every month for 4 or 5 months). We would always go out for ice cream (of course) and have mom-and-me time, it was so special. Anyway, keep it up it's such a great idea. Cute crafts!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the crafts from family fun magazine. If you look around on the web I guess they often ahve the subscription for free (I didn't know at first and payed for my 1st subscription, but renewed for free!) They also have it online. The links to the yarn crafts are at the bottom of this article: http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/buildmodel/feature/retro-crafts/retro-crafts.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you split Abe down the middle, make sure you take the smiling half and not the gassy one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. camping is soo much fun! too bad they didnt go.

    ReplyDelete