Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mothers Day Weekend

Finally, I have gotten around to posting about last weekend. I woke up Saturday and decided to give myself a present: a clean house. I started around 10:30 and by 3 I was as done as I wanted to be (I did do 3 more hours later in the evening). Anyway, it seems the present of choice this year was time alone, and I was no exception. Peter took ALL the kids to the mall and left me home with one directive: no housecleaning while he was gone (that is why I stopped at 3). So after an afternoon of scrapbooking, the kids came home with their spoils. The 4 oldest had used their allowances to buy Webkinz (again). As always, Joseph had also bought a little stuffed animal (less expensive and 3 year olds don't need online toys!) They had bought me some nice clothes with accessories, a dozen roses, and some Bath & Body stuff. Peter worked the night shift (see my last post), so I knew that I was on my own for Mother's Day on Sunday. After Peter left and the kids went to bed I finished cleaning up and went to bed myself.

Sunday was very pleasant. I somehow ended up running a little late for church and they were getting ready to sing the opening hymn when I got in. Of course, the only open row was at the FRONT, so everyone got to see me walk in late. While singing the opening hymn, I saw someone walking up the isle to our row. "Some charitable soul has had pity on me and is coming to help me struggle through Sacrament Meeting with 6 kids on Mother's Day," I thought. To my surprise, when I looked over it was Peter. It is hard for him to come to church when he gets home from working at 8AM. Although he tries to avoid it, sometimes he has to work that Saturday night shift or Sunday day shift. It was a particular blow that he worked that shift so he could take the boys to the cancelled camping trip.

I have to say that Peter taking all the kids to the store and then coming to Church the next day were the two best Mother's Day presents I have ever gotten. It is funny how such a simple thing can mean so much to an overworked, over stressed mom! The other presents weren't too bad either :). And I loved all the kids homemade (technically school and church made) cards.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a good mother's day. That was really nice of Peter and I'm glad he gave you 2 such wonderful gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds great. I am glad that you were able to have such a great mothers day weekend. (I am pretty jealous of the gifts to!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, gifts of time sometimes just mean so much more than a material gift. Glad you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even imagine how nice it was for you to have some time to yourself. I respect you so much more now that I have two kids. It is really hard sometimes with just two, I can't imagine six. I just want you to know that I think you're doing a wonderful job and I hope I can do as much for my children. I am really glad that you got to have some time to relax to pay off for all you do.

    ReplyDelete