Thursday, October 30, 2008

I Blame Facebook

Last weekend my brother did a bad thing. He pointed out that my father and I were the only two family members not on facebook. If you ask my father about social networking he probably thinks about business cards. In an attempt to not be the unhip sibling, I promptly signed up for an account.

First, I invited people from my email accounts. I figured if I ever sent you an email, you must be my friend. Then this little "People You May Know" thingy popped up. So I looked through and tried to click on people I did, in fact, know. And then the emails began.

At first it was blast from the past. Friends I hadn't thought of for years. Yes, I will be your friend. Then came a few names I remembered, barely. OK, I will be your friend, too.

And then came the people whose names were a total blank. Nada. But we have like 500 friends in common so I know I went to school with them. This started to bother me, so, in desperation, I went to the basement and PULLED OUT MY HIGH SCHOOL YEAR BOOK. Which is something I haven't done since 20 seconds after graduation.

And that is when things got scary. Because I actually started looking up people in my yearbook. And then I started reading what people signed. And a couple of the name blanks ACTUALLY SIGNED MY YEARBOOK. Unfortunately, I only remember well about 10% of the people who signed my yearbook. Another 10% I think I vaguely remember. The other 80, well apparently I did not follow your advice to "never forget me" or "lets get together this summer."

You know how many inside jokes are written in there? You know how many I remember after 15 years? Of course, I don't feel too bad. I wasn't even invited to the 10 year reunion. And those people who want to be my friend on facebook, even though I am 95% sure we never spoke a word to each other in high school, yeah I said they could be my friend, too. Just in case I've forgotten we were once best friends.

(And if you just clicked on my blog from my facebook profile, I am TOTALLY NOT talking about you)

I now have proof that I have lost my mind. Or at least my memory. Do I know you?

11 comments:

  1. Sometimes I think we know each other a little too well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I know you. I took out my yearbook and read what people wrote. I remembered almost all of them. What does that say? I haven't seen anyone from my high school since I graduated except for my good friend Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm ... you just requested to be my friend on facebook and I just clicked 'add' instead of 'ignore' - who are u? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the one who introduced Barlow and Andrea to Facebook, so I may be to blame...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cire, you mean we WEREN'T best friends at BYU?!? Maybe you just forgot . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, you are FUNNY!
    I thought I was the only one with a complete lack of memory for those high school years and all the bffs I had.

    I have one facebook "friend" who I can't place for the LIFE of me. Unless she dyed her hair, shrank 6 inches and is no longer black----it's not who I thought it was when I accepted her friendship through facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What Kim really did was show Barlow that it would be ok if he lifted the ban and allowed me to finally join Facebook. So, thanks Kim!

    Charlotte, have you tried not being so old? That might help you remember high school friends a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I kinds felt the same way when I signed up too. I actually sorta remember most the peoplethat want to be my friend. But I don't know as though I ever talked to them or I should say they ever talked to me in high school

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe you don't remember me. Stay sweet. And let's totally get together this summer. (Is it summer yet??)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had the same experience. I have a few pending friend requests that I cannot figure out who they are or why they know me. I only have so much room in my head for high school memories and these people are not in there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just in case you have forgotten, I lived two doors down from you. J/K

    ReplyDelete